The HEALTHY study:
- Was funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases of the National Institutes of Health with additional support from the American Diabetes Association.
- Involved a collaborative group of institutions.
- Was designed to moderate risk factors for type 2 diabetes in adolescents.
- Involved 42 middle schools – 21 to receive the HEALTHY intervention program and 21 to act as unaffected controls.
- Followed students from the start of 6th grade in fall 2006 to the end of 8th grade in spring 2009.
- Implemented an intervention program that integrated components targeting
| Nutrition (Nut)
| Physical Education (PEd)
| Behavior (Beh)
| Communications & Social Marketing (CSM)
Download the scientific protocol for the HEALTHY study.